Thursday, August 28, 2008

Prof. Haritsa's views on research

I recently bumped upon this interesting link on Prof. Jayant Haritsa's views on research. Although it is supposed to be Prof. Haritsa's views on MS vs PhD, much of it discusses his views on research life in general. As he says in the beginning, he is heavily biased towards a traditional notion of academics.
I don't think I have enough experience to comment on this topic. The last part is worth quoting:
Finally, in my view, ideal Phd is one where *you* come up with the problem, work alone (modulo advisor) and single-handedly write a definitive thesis on the issue.
Still considering grad school?

P.S. My personal interaction with Dr. Haritsa was primarily during the DBMS course he offers. Highly recommended if you end up at IISc!






3 comments:

Ashwin said...

What's this Coffee With Sundar blog? :-)

Arnab De said...

@Yodha: I just found the blog during web surfing. Looks like a blog from a NIT Trichy student.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your recommendation of Prof. Haritsa :-)